Max Bill was a Swiss graphic artist, industrial designer, architect, sculptor, and painter, primarily important for his sophisticated, disciplined advertising designs.
Bill’s early ambition was to become a silversmith, but the work of the architect Le Corbusier influenced him to study architecture at the Bauhaus, Germany’s foremost school of design. He also studied metalwork, stage design, and painting. In 1930 he set up his own studio in Zürich and concentrated on sculpture, painting, and architecture while earning his living by designing advertisements. After 1944 he became increasingly active as an industrial designer, creating products as diverse as chairs and wall sprockets with the same elegance of line and form that characterized his marble sculpture “Construction from a Circle” (1942). His use of austere geometric forms echoed his Bauhaus training.
Bill co-founded and was rector of the College of Design in Ulm, W.Ger. (1951–56). He designed the school’s buildings, planned its curriculum, and was director of the department of architecture and product design there. He then served as a professor of environmental design at the State Institute of Fine Arts, Hamburg (1967–74)